This deliciously decadent fish is made by Chef Nobu Matsuhisa of Nobu Restaurant fame, and it is so lusciously moist and tender that it practically melts in your mouth. Each succulent bite of this miso-marinated cod is like a sweet and savoury dream come true! This air fryer recipe is also super simple with very little hands-on cooking time, just that you need 2 days to let it marinate.
When it comes to the world of culinary artistry, few names stand as prominently as Nobu Matsuhisa. Known for his innovative fusion of Japanese and Peruvian flavors, Chef Nobu has delighted taste buds across the globe.
At the heart of this recipe is the delicate and flaky cod fish, a canvas waiting to be transformed. The miso marinade, however, is where the enchantment truly happens. Comprising white miso, mirin, sake, and sugar, this marinade is a symphony of flavors. The white miso provides depth and umami, while mirin adds a hint of sweetness. Sake, after a brief encounter with high heat, contributes its subtle notes, and sugar balances it all out. The result is a magical elixir that turns ordinary cod into a culinary marvel.
The secret to this dish’s unrivaled flavour lies in the art of marination. Once the marinade is prepared, it’s time to lavish the cod fillets with this flavourful potion. The fish, patted dry to ensure the marinade clings lovingly to every inch, is generously coated with this mixture. Then comes the waiting game – a two-day stint in the refrigerator.
During these two days, the cod undergoes a remarkable transformation. The marinade works its magic, infusing the fish with its sweet, savoury, and slightly intoxicating essence. The cod becomes a blank canvas upon which the flavors dance and intertwine, creating a sensory experience like no other.
Instead of traditional cooking methods, this recipe uses the air fryer to quickly cook the fish in 5 to 7 minutes only! As you place the beautifully cooked miso-marinated cod on a serving plate, you’ll find that it’s not just a feast for the palate but also for the eyes. The glistening, caramelized exterior juxtaposed with the pristine, flaky white interior is a sight to behold. So let’s get to it!
Watch How To Make It
Nobu’s Famous Miso-Marinated Cod
- Air fryer
- 8 fillets cod fish 100-120g each
- 10 tbsp white miso
- 3 tbsp mirin
- 3 tbsp sake
- 4 tbsp sugar
- For the marinade, pour sake and mirin in a saucepan and over high heat to let the alcohol evaporate (about 20 seconds).
- Add miso in the pan and mix well until the miso dissolves completely.
- Add in sugar and mix well until the sugar dissolves, then turn off the heat and let the marinade cool to room temperature.
- Pat-dry the fish fillets with kitchen paper and slather the marinade onto the fish. Cling wrap it and leave it in the fridge for 2 days.
- Wipe the excess marinade off the fish fillets and let it cook in an air fryer for 5-7 minutes at 200°C. You don’t have to turn the fish.
- Place it on a serving plate and enjoy!