I absolutely love Thai food, and this Thai Beef Salad is totally up my alley! A wonderful mix of textures and tastes, bringing together the succulent tenderness of medium rare beef, the zesty zing of lime, the umami of fish sauce, and the delightful crunch of fresh vegetables. The flavors are a harmonious blend of sweet, sour, salty, and spicy, and fans of Thai food are sure to devour this dish in no time!
At the heart of this dish lies the star ingredient, beef tenderloin. This cut is renowned for its tenderness, making it the perfect canvas for Thai flavors to shine. A quick sear in a smoking-hot pan locks in the juices and creates a beautiful char on the outside, while keeping the inside delightfully medium rare. The result? A melt-in-your-mouth experience that elevates the entire salad.
The dressing is where the magic happens. A combination of fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, and a touch of chili creates a flavor profile that’s both complex and addictive. The fish sauce brings a salty depth, while the lime juice adds a zesty kick. Sugar balances out the flavors, and the chili provides the signature Thai heat. The dressing is a perfect representation of Thai cuisine’s commitment to balancing these four fundamental tastes.
Completing this ensemble are the supporting characters: red onion, spring onions, and coriander. These fresh ingredients provide a burst of color and a refreshing crunch to every bite. The red onion’s mild sweetness pairs beautifully with the dressing’s tanginess, while the spring onions and coriander add a delightful herbal note that ties everything together.
After cooking the beef, it is rested to allow the juices to redistribute within the meat, ensuring that each slice remains moist and flavorful. Once the beef has rested, it is sliced into thin strips and combined with the dressing and vegetables, resulting in an amazing Thai Beef Salad that takes you through Thailand’s diverse and vibrant flavors. From the savory tenderness of the beef to the explosive dressing and the refreshing crunch of vegetables, it’s a dish that will make you want to fly to Thailand ASAP! So let’s get to it!
Watch How To Make It
Thai Beef Salad
- 200 g beef tenderloin
- salt for seasoning
- pepper for seasoning
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 large lime juiced
- 3.5 tsp sugar
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 bird's eye chili chopped
- 3 spring onions chopped
- 3 coriander chopped
- Dice the coriander and spring onions. Slice the bird's eye chili and red onion. Then season both sides of the beef with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a pan over high heat until it smokes, before putting the beef in. My steak was about 2.5cm thick, so I cooked it for 2 minutes on each side (front and back) to get medium rare. Then sear the sides of the beef to get a nice char.
- Place the beef on a rack and let it rest for 15 minutes, to let the juice redistribute towards the edge of the meat, and achieve an evenly moist and flavorful steak.
- Prepare the dressing in a large bowl. Taste, then adjust with extra sugar, lime or fish sauce to your preference.
- Slice the beef and transfer everything into the dressing bowl. Toss gently and serve!