Here’s another high-protein low-carb recipe that is guaranteed to satisfy your whole family, both young and old. The dish is deceivingly simple but it still took me a few tries to get it just right, and I’ve shared the tips in my recipe below so it’ll turn out well for you!
At the heart of this Steamed Egg with Prawns lies the star ingredient – silken tofu. Its velvety smooth texture and mild flavor provide a perfect canvas for the other elements to shine. Combined with the richness of eggs, the dish gains a delectable creaminess that contrasts beautifully with the succulent prawns.
Prawns, known for their sweet and briny taste, elevate the dish with a burst of seafood goodness. When steamed atop the egg-tofu mixture, they release their flavors, infusing the entire dish with a delicate seafood aroma.
As the ingredients rest gently in the steamer, the eggs and tofu meld, forming a smooth custard-like base, while the prawns turn tender and juicy, fully absorbing the essence of the dish. The mixture of light soy sauce and sesame oil brings a harmonious balance of saltiness and nuttiness that ties all the flavors together.
Preparing this dish requires attention to detail. The eggs must be beaten with care, ensuring the yolks and whites blend seamlessly. The water-to-egg ratio is a crucial step, as it affects the final texture of the dish. In the steamer, the water must reach a rolling boil before the egg-tofu mixture is introduced. The high heat ensures the dish sets perfectly, while the subsequent simmering guarantees a gentle and even cooking process. And finally, a touch of garnishes such as fresh spring onions add a burst of color, while fried garlic imparts a delightful crunch and a subtle roasted aroma.
The Steamed Egg with Prawns and Silken Tofu exemplifies the finesse and artistry of Asian cuisine. Its harmonious blend of ingredients and cooking techniques creates a symphony of flavors and textures that delight the senses, from the smooth and creamy egg-tofu base to the succulent prawns and the final flourish of the sauce and garnishes. So let’s get to it!
Watch How To Make It
Steamed Egg with Prawns
- 2 large eggs
- 5 prawns
- 300 g silken tofu
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- spring onion garnish
- fried garlic garnish
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Slice the silken tofu and place them in a bowl.
- Crack the eggs into a separate bowl and gently beat them until the yolks and whites are well combined. Add water into it, at the perfect water-to-egg ratio of 2-to-1. You can use the egg shells to easily measure the water.
- Pour in the egg mixture, making sure the egg mixture covers the tofu so you get an even surface. Then place the egg tofu over a steamer for about 10 minutes.Pro Tip: Make sure the water is boiling in the wok and that your stove is still on high heat when you place the eggs in. After you cover the wok, leave the stove on high heat for about 2 minutes until the water starts boiling again. Once boiling, lower the heat to a simmer for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, season the prawns with salt and pepper. Place the prawns on top of the steamed egg and let it steam for another 3 minutes.
- Drizzle some light soy sauce and sesame oil, then garnish with spring onions and fried garlic and serve!