This is a super easy recipe for clams in a savoury broth that only takes 10 minutes to cook! This dish combines the briny sweetness of the clams with the comforting, savoury essence of chicken broth and the richness of butter. Some recipes like to use Japanese sake or wine, but I’ve opted for chicken broth for a slightly different flavour profile! 😁
These are the key ingredients:
- Clams: At the heart of this dish are the clams themselves. They bring a distinctive brininess and oceanic freshness that make each bite a true delight. Before cooking, it’s important to soak them in salt water for 30 minutes to help them release any sand they may have inside. Rinse and scrub them thoroughly to ensure their cleanliness. Alternatively, you could get pre-washed clams to skip the cleaning!
- Garlic: Three cloves of garlic, sliced thinly, provide a fragrant and slightly pungent kick. Garlic is a culinary powerhouse, adding depth and complexity to the dish.
- Chilli: A single sliced chilli offers a touch of heat that perfectly complements the seafood’s natural sweetness. Adjust the amount to your spice preference.
- Chicken Broth: Half a cup of chicken broth forms the base of this dish, infusing it with a warm and savoury essence.
- Light Soy Sauce: Light soy sauce brings a hint of saltiness and umami to the mix. It’s a key component that ties all the flavours together.
- Unsalted Butter: Finally, the unsalted butter adds luxurious creaminess and a delightful richness to the broth, making it irresistible.
This dish is so easy to make, and tastes absolutely delicious! The broth goes perfectly with rice, and it’s an easy introduction to seafood for the kids! So let’s get to it!
Watch How To Make It
Clams in Butter Chicken Broth
- 500 g clams
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 chilli sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 20 g unsalted butter
- Soak the clams in salt water for 30 minutes to make them spit out the sand inside. Rinse and scrub them thoroughly.Pro Tip: Buy washed frozen clams to save time on cleaning the clams.
- Heat oil in a pan, and cook garlic and chilli until fragrant.
- Pour in the clams and chicken broth and let it cook for 5 minutes with the lid on.
- After 5 minutes, open the lid, add in light soy sauce and unsalted butter, and you’re ready to serve!